Monday, November 05, 2012

Once A Band Geek...Always A Band Geek!!!


Way back in the day, when Jesus was a small child, I was a member of the Flag Corps of the Auburn University Marching Band. I marched for 2 seasons, the fall of 98 and 99, and loved it, even though it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. It took so much hard work, hours and hours of practice, and dedication beyond belief, and it was so much fun. I learned so much from my time with the band, and it was where I learned my motto for life; In the words of former band director Johnnie Vinson, "Early is on time, on time is late, and late is inexcusable." I've lived by those words ever since.

I had the chance to return to the field this weekend as an alumni of the Auburn University Marching Band Flag Corps and it was just about the best weekend ever! We stayed in Auburn Friday night and I had to be at practice at 6:45 on Saturday morning. I quickly realized that it's a little harder picking up a flag when you haven't done it in so many years, but I think we managed okay! We had about an hour to learn both routines, which was hilarious for this old girl to try to do, but we mostly got it done. It wasn't a perfect performance by any stretch, but I had so much fun being back on the field. Enjoy the pics and video!

 
Auburn Flag Corps 1998-1999. I'm on the 2nd row, 2nd from the right. Check out those bangs!
 
 
 
It's kinda like riding a bicycle...you never really forget how!




Waiting for me to march back into the stadium, Jackson was having lots of fun with my flag!

 
Under Jordan Hare Stadium again after all these years!




 
Aubie came over to direct the alumni band, dressed to the nines!


 
After 13 years, it was just as much fun as it was then. Loved.It!!!


I'm the second flag in line.
 
 
 
 
It  was such a great experience returning to my alma mater, and I had a blast being part of the alumni band. I can't wait to do it again next year. Warrrrr Eagle always!!

P.S. I would like to thank God for bringing a hair straightener into my life. I only wish he had done it before I spent 2 years performing in front of 86,000 people every Saturday. That is all.

2 random thoughts:

Pam said...

Very cool...made me a little teary that you had such a blast. I love it! And I'm sure you became a rock star to Jackson when he saw you down there doing your thing..on the field! : )

trishandwade said...

Awe, how fun! I thought you did great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...