Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Sleeping Like A Baby…Or not

I have been having major sleep issues lately. It started when I was pregnant with Anderson and I thought that my troubles were just because I was pregnant, felt like a beached whale and overall just miserable. Now I have a 9 month old and the sleep issues aren’t any better. I wish I could say that Anderson was sleeping through the night but he, much like me, can’t seem to make it through a complete night of sleep.

My trouble isn’t falling asleep; I can do that anytime. My issue is staying asleep. Lately I’m afraid that I have retrained myself to wake up at 3:00 (usually to go to the bathroom) and after that I’m done. I toss and turn until I finally give up and get out of bed. When my day starts around 3-4 in the morning it’s hard to not feel completely exhausted by 9.

I’ve tried a sleep mask, taking a warm bath before bed and going to bed earlier, with not much benefit.

I’ve also tried Benadryl and while I do sleep better, I don’t want to come to rely on it for sleep every night. I don’t want for Benadryl to become a crutch because of days like today; here it is at 5 and Anderson and Jackson are both up already (who knows why) and I feel like I’m in a fog that I can’t get out from under because I haven’t slept the Benadryl off.

I’m at a point where I’m just exhausted and grumpy and I don’t know what to do. I’ll take any advice you have. Consider me a desperate woman!

3 random thoughts:

Shelby Baker said...

One word - AMBIEN!

It puts you in a deep sleep... but not like Nyquil where you feel drunk the next day. It gives you a great 5 to 6 hours of sleep where you feel like you've slept 10.

I would check it out if I were you!

Mom said...

No no no -- not Ambien. Mabe it's time to go to the doctor.

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry!! I've had sleep problems on and off throughout different parts of life. The only thing that really helped me long term during those phases was Lunesta. I LOVED it - and it left no fog. Haven't had any in a couple of years, and I kinda miss it some nights...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...