Monday, March 08, 2010

Wanted: 3T Clothing

Jackson started off this winter with 4 pairs of blue jeans. He quickly outgrew one pair and just as quickly decided that he didn't like the second pair. That left him with 2 pairs of jeans, both of which I really liked. Well, apparently Jackson has a talent for falling down on his left knee because now both of the jeans have a hole in the left knee. I'm okay with Jackson wearing holey jeans sometimes, but I don't want all his jeans having holes in them! We've been on a wash and wear and wash and wear cycle with his jeans and I really hope his teacher doesn't think that we let him wear the same jeans all the time!

So I'm been on a mission to find a new pair of jeans for him.

It's been harder than one might think.

Please excuse me while I step on my soapbox to say...

Dear People Who Purchase For and Stock Department Stores,

First of all, let me thank you for the endless supply of clothing that is available for infant and toddler girls. You've done a great job stocking in that area. It's like a sea of pink, purple, and yellow, especially during the Easter season. Here's my problem: You seem to forget that approximately 50ish% of the population is of the male persuasion, which just so happens to include infants, toddlers and preschooler boys.

It's funny how boys don't just evolve into fitting into the Husky and Big and Tall sections of the department stores. I'm not sure if you realize this, but men actually start off as little boys, hence the need for little boy clothing. And frankly, I need more of a selection than the 2 clothing racks that you have hidden in the back of the toddler section behind the 25 racks of girls clothing.

Is that too much to ask?

I should not have to drive to 4 different department stores in my search for jeans for my child only to wind up leaving with 2 t-shirts (which were both very cute) and 1 pair of khaki pants. Now, had I been looking for toddler girls clothing I would have hit the jackpot. In all fairness, I did find one pair of jeans that I really liked. There were only sizes 2T and 5T on the shelf . When I finally hunted down a saleslady and got her to check the stock room she came back only to say, "What size were you needing? We have lots of size 2T and 5T!!!" My response, "Do you know that you NEVER have size 3T clothing for boys. Ever!"

Would you like to see my jeans options this weekend?

The darkest wash jeans possible, with a very boxy cut.

I think not...

Or the overly distressed look for $45.

Did you catch the part where I mention that my son has holes in his jeans and that's why I was looking for new ones? Why in the world would I pay $45 for jeans that already look worse than the ones he has? Maybe I should just let Jackson go crazy with his jeans and then list them on ebay as "distressed".


Or the embellished jeans for girls.

I thought about getting Jackson a pair of jeans with a cute butterfly applique on the hiney, but wisely decided against it.

Is a not too expensive, normal, medium wash, slightly boot cut, not too boxy, without holes in the knees, size 3T pair of jeans too much to ask?

Because Spring? It hasn't fully sprung yet. And my boy? He needs some jeans. Preferably without butterflies.

Sincerely,

Amy

6 random thoughts:

Lianne said...

*Clap, clap, clap!*

Preach on, sister!

Kristen said...

As mother to an alomost 3 yr old boy, all I have to say is..." I HEAR YOU!!"
Its the most frustrated thing in the world! The stores have a 75/25 ration of Girl to boy clothes. That is one reason I break my neck to hit all the consignment sales I can to rack up on clothes for him. At one fall sale I got 16 pairs of 2T & 3T jeans/slacks for $65. WELL worth the time and money. But now that we are potty training, daycare says that he MUST come to school in pants with an elastic waist...do you know how much fun it is to find sweatpant type bottoms in Jan/Feb when all the stores have their new swimwear out? Grr....Thank goodness I will at least be prepared when #2 comes along....

McCrory Family said...

$45 for kids jeans!!! Give me a break! I do feel for ya. Girls have it good in the clothing department. HOWEVER, a good 50% of department store clothing for girls makes them look like they are teenagers. I think NOT. Espeically not for my innocent 3 year old daughter!!!!

Pam said...

I hear ya. Been there done that. And it drove me nuts. But it isn't much easier to find jeans for girls that don't look like she needs to find herself a corner, if ya know what I mean. Have you tried online at the places you usually get his jeans? Sometimes catalogs are the only answer. sigh. I know.

Anonymous said...

Found you through someone, so this is random, but have you tried craigslist or freecycle.com? You might be amazed what you will find. My son has approx 25 pair of 3T pants found from these sites. I didn't pay more than $1 for any pair. Granted you have to drive to get them, but so worth it. My favorite pair of his jeans are Carters, so if you have a Carters outlet by you, you might find something there.

Carly said...

I just went through this with my son! I finally ended up at Old Navy. I really like their bootcut jeans for little boys, and they generally have a good selection. I got his on sale for $10. It's a little pricey, but worth it to me to have well-fitting jeans that will last more than 3 weeks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...