Thursday, February 04, 2010

Storing Up Treasures

I have passed a car several times on the way to work lately with an unusual vanity license plate. The car is a very high end luxury vehicle, and the tag says, "FORNOW." I can't help but thinking to myself every time I pass the car, "What does that mean?"

I can only assume that the tag means something along the lines of, "This car will do FORNOW," as if settling for a $60,000 vehicle is such a heavy burden, because that's how it reads to me. Now I know that I could be wrong in interpreting the tag (maybe she has 4 kids now?), but that's what I think of when I see the car.

I can't help but wonder how in this economy, in this recession, do you go to the DMV and request that tag for your car that costs more than most people make in a year? We live a simple life and are happy with what we have, but I can't imagine being so non-chalant about money that I would so blatantly brag to others about the kind of car I drive.

And to me it kinda comes across that she's complaining about her gorgeous car as if settling for a high end luxury car is such a disappointment. To tell you the truth, that makes me more than a little mad. With entire countries devastated by natural disasters and over 10% unemployment in our own country, I wouldn't dream of complaining about anything when it's pretty obvious she has been very richly blessed.

Jeremy and I may not have a luxury SUV that will do "for now," but I sure hope we are teaching Jackson the importance of knowing that one day material things will be gone. And Jeremy being a funeral director can tell you that you sure can't take your stuff with you. So for now, I'll settle for being content with the life we live and knowing that we are storing up our treasures in a place far better than this world.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Luke 12:34 (New International Version)

2 random thoughts:

Esther said...

I heard a line in a country song once that has always stuck with me: "You haven't seen a hearse with a luggage rack." I think if more people in this country could be happy with what they have, we'd be better off!

Marie said...

Maybe the license plate means "FORNOW" I reside here and drive this car but my true treasure is stored up in heaven. Wouldn't it be cool if that driver happens to read your blog and comments?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...