Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Fun

I found this on the Mommy Diaries and decided to give it a shot. I'm tagging anyone that wants to do it also! I'd love to hear your answers!

1. Which do you like better: hosting Thanksgiving at your home, or going elsewhere?
I wouldn't even know where to begin if I hosted my own Thanksgiving. Before Jeremy and I got married I had always just gone to one of my grandmother's houses. Now we usually head to Mississippi for Thanksgiving. Jeremy has a huge family, so it's always nice to see everyone!

2. Do you buy a fresh or frozen turkey? Organic? Free-range?
I've never bought a turkey, unless of course you count turkey breast sandwich meat. That's as close as I will probably ever get! I much prefer a spiral cut sugared ham. I could eat my weight in ham!

3. Do you make stuffing or dressing? What kind?
We call it dressing around our house, and my Mom has made up a recipe for some very good dressing. Is this a bad time to say that I'm not really a fan of Thanksgiving food? It's not that I don't like the food, because it's fine, but it just makes me slightly sick to my stomach. Want to know why? Literally 3 hours after I found out that I was finally pregnant I had to go to a Thanksgiving dinner as part of a work function. I was already nauseated and then I had to eat a big plate of turkey and dressing and pretend like nothing in the world was wrong. It's been 4 years since then, and I still don't feel that same about turkey and dressing.

4. Sweet potato pie or Pumpkin pie?
I've never eaten pumpkin pie, and I would much rather eat sweet potato casserole with marshmallows.

5. Are leftovers a blessing or a curse?
A bit of both. Re-read number 3 if you are confused. I do love leftovers of everything but turkey and dressing.

6. What side dishes are a must-have in your family?
Mashed potatoes, broccoli and rice casserole, broccoli cornbread, green bean casserole, turnips or collards, squash, macaroni and cheese, deviled eggs, that kind of stuff.

7. What do you wish you had that might make Thanksgiving easier?
A way to time travel so that Jeremy and I could be with both of our families at the same time!

8. If/when you go to someone else’s house for the holiday, do you usually bring a dish? If so, what is it?
I do try to do something. It's not always easy, but I do like to help out someway.

9. What do you wish one of your guests would bring to your house?
Seeing as how it will probably be awhile before I host a Thanksgiving dinner, I'm going to pass on this question.

10. What do you wish one of your guests would NOT bring to your house?
Cranberry sauce. Yuck.

11. Do you stick with a particular menu from year to year, or do you mix it up?
I'm pretty traditional when it comes to meals. We always have ham, and you better believer that we will have mashed potatoes.

12. Is Thanksgiving a religious or secular holiday in your home?
I guess it's a little bit of both. I enjoy spending time with family and enjoying the yummy food, but at the same time I am completely aware that God has given us so much to be thankful for. Without Him, we would have nothing.

13. Share one Thanksgiving tradition.
From the time that I was a little girl I remember sitting in the floor at my Granny Betsy's house and watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. I loved it, especially the Rockettes and waiting for Santa Claus' float to ride by. I still love watching the parade, although I don't get to see much of it.

14. Share one Thanksgiving memory.
Besides watching Macy's parade? I always think back to how my cousin Brandi and I ALWAYS got stuck at the kids table, no matter how old we were. Eventually the kids table evolved into the two of us sitting in the kitchen by ourselves because there were too many other grand kids! In fact, I think we were married and were still at that kitchen table. We joked that we would have kids of our own before we ever made it away from the kids table!

15. Name five things you’re thankful for.
1. My Family
2. My Savior
3. My Church
4. My Freedom
5. My Friends
6. Black Friday Sales! (I just had to add that one!)

Now it's your turn! Leave me a comment with your link, so I can enjoy your answers too! HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

1 random thoughts:

Esther said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! I'll eat your share of turkey and stuffing... ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...