Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Anyone else out there a fireworks Scrooge??

I am a self proclaimed fireworks Scrooge. Maybe it's because we just didn't grow up with fireworks. I remember when we finally convinced my parents to get us some sparkers, and although it was sorta fun, I had this deep fearing of getting burned or catching myself on fire. I'm still scared of sparklers. I know, I know, I'm a big baby. I just can't help it. It is something on fire, and it is shooting mini flames at me, and I'm supposed to like it? Me thinketh not.

I love going to see the big shows, but I am so Scroogish when it comes to my neighbors setting off fireworks into all hours of the night. I really can't for the life of me understand the need to wait until midnight on the 4th of July to begin your big display. Hello folks...that makes it July 5th. Duh. New Year's Eve I understand (though I still don't like them), however you have missed the boat if 12:00 a.m. is when you choose to begin your July 4th celebrations.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if Jackson's room wasn't at the front of the house, about 30 feet from the road, and our neighbors feel the need to blow their money up in smoke right outside our house. It makes it even better that the baby monitor picks up all the noise and it sounds like a gunfight going off in my bedroom. That's always fun to wake up to!!

Macy really loves fireworks. They are her fav. Last year was the first time she actually figured out how to jump the baby gate while we were gone to a fireworks display. We found her cowering in the kitchen, shaking like a leaf. It was so sad, even Jeremy felt sorry for her...

My other absolute favorite part of personal fireworks displays is when I have to go pick up all the trash from my front yard because you are (a) too lazy to pick up after yourself or (b) too drunk (or self absorbed) to realize that your fireworks are actually hitting the houses around you. I just love picking up garbage...don't you? I stole this chart from Et tu?, but it pretty much sums up how I feel about fireworks. Scrooge? Maybe, but you won't see me having my hand blown off anytime soon from setting something on fire!



So, do you like fireworks? If so, please give me some good reasons for at home displays vs. big displays in local cities. Bye ya'll!

4 random thoughts:

CHELLE said...

I would have to agree to a certaini point on most of this, but I did grow around fire crackers!!! We always did them at Granny Boo's. But honestly i couldn't do it by myself, they freak me out!!! So yeah I have mixed feelings on it!!!

Anonymous said...

I think every kid, with adult supervision, should know how to shoot fireworks. fireworks are not meant to just watch ya know :o)

Wade's World said...

That's cute Jeremy....Nice try :)

Christa said...

My husband is a police officer, so I hate it when people have the audacity to set them off when he's around in uniform. They know he has to take them away! But I think they're a total waste of money, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...